1/01/2010

Quick and Easy Weeknight Dinner

I was pressed for time this week in between my travels and needed to think of a quick meal as I was STARVING after work. I stopped at Trader Joe's on my way home for some ready made balsamic rosemary chicken, veggies (yellow zucchini, broccoli, snap peas, mushrooms, and some cherry tomato - sized heirloom tomatoes), and bottled spaghetti sauce (only 40kcals per serving!).
When I got home I boiled some water for rigatoni. I sauteed the veggies with some EVOO and garlic, set them aside, and cut the chicken up into cubes. I left the tomatoes out of the saute so they didn't get mushy.
When the pasta was done I mixed in the vegetables, chicken, tomatoes, and some marinara sauce. I of course sprinkled some Parmesan cheese on top and enjoyed!

The BEST part of this meal is that it only cost me $15.00 and took about 20 minutes to make. I had enough food to feed me and my friend dinner, take some for lunch the next day, and still had enough left over for both of my parents to enjoy when they returned from vacation.
Who said eating healthfully was expensive?! The pasta was packed with colorful veggies and lean protein from the chicken - what else could a dietitian ask for?

Happy New Year. I wish everyone happy and healthy eating in 2010!

No comments:

Post a Comment