12/17/2009

Lil Kaplan's Rugelach

The second cookie we made for our holiday party is Rugelach - I had to add a little Jewish pride to mix of Christmas themed cookies.
My good friend Ronnie makes the best Rugelach I have ever had, so I used the same recipe.

Again, I used my apricot jam in this recipe. We filled some with just sugar, walnuts, and cinnamon, and some had all of the fillings. We added mini chocolate chips to some because who doesn't love chocolate?! The picture below is filled with cinnamon, sugar, walnuts, apricot jam, AND mini chocolate chips - YUM.
Again, this dough needed to be chilled for an hour, but was MUCH easier to work with than the Linzer cookie dough, and the process was a bit easier too. It was so much fun to roll all of the ingredients up into pretty swirls.
The Rugelach came out of the oven with a crispy outside and a sweet inside. I didn't think this recipe made enough cookies, so I may double it next time. I am traveling to Israel next month and hear they have the best Rugelach EVER - so keep an eye out for round 2 of Rugelach making in February.
My Rugelach didn't come out quite as great as Ronnie's, but they were quite delicious! With some practice I may be able to give her a run for her money!

Recipe to follow...

Pastry:

2c flour

1/2lb. unsalted butter

3/4c sour cream (I used 'light' sour cream like a good dietitian)

1 egg yolk

Combine all ingredients in food processor (I used a mixer) until it forms a ball. Chill for 1 hour.

Filling:

3/4c sugar

3/4c finely chopped walnuts

1tsp cinnamon

(I added mini chocolate chips too)

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl

Procedure:

Cut ball of dough into fourths. Roll each piece into a 1/4 inch thick circle and cut into sixteenths (wedges). Put about 1/2tsp filling on fat end of each wedge. Roll towards the point.

Place rolled rugelach on an ungreased cookie sheet and back for 30 minutes at 375*F until lightly browned.

1 comment:

  1. This one was really fun to make! Thanks Ronnie for the great recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete