12/09/2009

Breakfast for Dinner

Yesterday my friend, Kitchen M, brought me one of her fabulous Buttermilk English Muffins to taste. I forgot to eat it at work and brought it home. When I got home from work, my mother said that she was craving Joe's Special (usually a breakfast item). Quite a coincidence that I had an English muffin waiting for me too, so breakfast for dinner it was!

My mom found this recipe on Epicurious and we started cooking.

1. Crack the eggs into a small bowl and add the Tabasco, salt, basil, and pepper. Whisk just enough to combine; you should still see large bubbles. Set aside


2. Warm the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until soft but not beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Add the ground turkey and continue cooking until uniformly brown, breaking the meat into small pieces as it cooks. Cover with the spinach, place a lid over the mixture, and cook for about 3 minutes, just until the spinach wilts.


3. Stir the spinach into the meat, cooking briefly to eliminate excess liquid if the mixture seems watery. Pour the egg mixture over it all, stirring with a spatula from the bottom until the eggs begin to set. Remove from the heat and stir a few more times, as the eggs cook through from the residual heat. Serve immediately.


I spread some pumpkin butter on the English muffin and enjoyed this yummy breakfast for dinner. This was simple and quick to make and totally delicious! I made some alterations, additions and substitutions to the recipe we found to make it a little healthier and nutrient dense - take a look below.

Ingredients:

6 large eggs ( I used 3 whole eggs and 4 egg white)

Splash or two of Tabasco or other hot pepper sauce ( I used Trader Joe's hot chili sauce and used it to top the scramble as well)

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon dried basil or oregano ( I used both)

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 tablespoon unsalted butter ( I skipped the butter)

1 medium yellow onion, diced

1/2 pound lean freshly ground beef ( I used ground turkey)

3/4 to 1 Pound fresh spinach ( Naturally, I used a pound)

I also added about 1/2 c of sliced white mushrooms and one medium sized baked potato cut into cubes.

It was so much fun to cook with my mom for a change - and she didn't even tell me I was cooking to slowly!

Recipe courtesy of: Epicurious, February 2002 ; A Real American Breakfast

2 comments:

  1. It take you quite some time to crack and whisk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thank you for featuring my English Muffin! I would have brought you more if I knew you were doing this. Can't wait to bake with you this weekend!

    ReplyDelete